Sportsplex Hockey League (SHL)
The SHL is a no-check, adult (18 years+) recreational ice hockey league for players of all abilities. The SHL is divided into divisions according to ability of players/teams. The Spring Season runs from March 24th through June 13th, and is a 12 game season including 2 playoff games.
- 4 Divisions of skill level, parity enforced at each level
- 3 – 20 minute run-time periods
- No checking, safe and competitive environment
- Two USA Hockey certified referees at every game
- Scorekeeper, online stats, and box scores
- 10 Regular Season games / 2 Playoff games
- 12 week season begins March 24th
- Individual Fee: $475.00
- Goalies pay $250.00 for the full season.
- Players must register with USA Hockey prior to first game and send confirmation to the Sportsplex.
- Players must be current with all dues and be above 18 years of age per USA Hockey.
- 20% discount (off of regular price) is given if players are registering for two teams in multiple Divisions.
- Registrations can be taken Online or at the Bellingham Sportsplex.
Nights and Times
- Sunday – Over 40 (8pm and 9:30pm)
- Monday – Division 2 (8:45pm and 10:15pm)
- Tuesday – Division 4 (8:45pm and 10:15pm)
- Tuesday/Wednesday – Division 3 (8:45pm and 10:15pm)
- Thursday – Division 1 (8:45pm and 10:15pm)
Can I register individually?
Absolutely! Teams in all levels are looking for players every year. First, you will need to attend a stick n puck session so that we can determine the most appropriate tier for you to play in. Once you are registered and have attended an evaluation session, your name will be on our free agent list. Teams will get together in early September to draft players from the free agent list. Once you are drafted, you will be contacted by the team.
If I sign up individually, am I guaranteed to get on a team?
While we can’t guarantee anything, it is very rare for us not to find a team for a new player, particularly skaters. With many teams, there are always teams in need of players every year.
Can I sign up with friends/co-workers/relatives?
Absolutely! You can register with people you know and we will do our best to find a team for you to play together.
Can I sign up to be a sub goalie?
Yes. You must first attend an evaluation session so that we know which level(s) to list you at on the sub goalie list. Captains have access to the list and contact the goalies listed when they are in need of a goaltender for an upcoming game.
Goalies that are rostered on a winter team can be listed on the sub goalie list by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For goalies that are not on a winter roster, you must register as well to be put added to the list.
What equipment is required for the League?
Required equipment is: helmet with shield (full cage/shield is recommended, but half shield is allowed), breezers, shins, elbows, gloves, skates, and stick. Shoulder pads are optional.
What are the uniform requirements?
It is recommended that all teams have matching uniforms, including jerseys.
Is fighting/rough play allowed in SHL?
SHL is a non-checking league. Fighting is strictly prohibited. SHL promotes a safe environment for adults to play hockey and does not condone rough play. Players that fight or get excessive penalty minutes are suspended. Refer to the SHL Rules for more information.
When will I find out my schedule?
The schedule is released about two weeks before the start of the season. The complete Winter schedule is released at the beginning of the season.
Where can I read more about the rules?
SHL games are played following the USA Hockey Rule Book.
Can I play on more than one team?
Players may be rostered on more than one team, provided they are approved to play at the particular level by the SHL. Players can always play above the level at which they evaluated at, but not below. Players cannot play on more than one team in any division. (For example, a player may play on a team in the Division 2 and Division 3, but not two teams in Division 3.)
What are the roster limits?
Teams can have 12 – 15 registered spots, including one goaltender.
To register visit our online registration here. For more information contact: Jimmy Stussy, Hockey Director (360) 255-5032 or email@example.com